Sivananda Teachers' Training Course online
14 April – 12 May 2023
5 November – 2 December 2023
Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Course Online
4 weeks - 6 days per week
Friday, 14 April – Friday, 12 May 2023
Sunday, 5 November – Saturday, 2 December 2023
Experience the authentic live training from home
Course fee: €1,650
Immerse yourself in the ancient teachings of yoga, yogic lifestyle, meditation, pranayama and positive thinking. Develop connections with other like-minded practitioners as you experience shifts in your daily life.
The goal of this training programme is to prepare qualified and inspiring yoga teachers who are able to draw on their own practice and personal discipline to impart the yoga experience to others.
The course will be taught in three languages parallel: English, German, Spanish. The evening meditation and occasional classes or lectures will be in English with simultaneous translation into German and Spanish.
Yoga Alliance Certified 200-hour Training
The online experience
Graduates report that the online version of the Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Course imparts both nearness and authenticity.
- The Online Teacher Training Course is a wonderful opportunity to dive into your own practice, to learn new aspects of yoga and to adopt a healthy and positive life style – all without travelling.
- The Online Course gives you the opportunity to reflect – on your habits, your mental tendencies, and your perspective on life.
- You will learn how to transform your living space into a personal centre of spiritual energy. Create a dedicated practice space within your home where you can feel relaxed and at peace
- The training includes practical cooking instructions. During the four weeks you will learn to prepare healthy and tasty vegetarian meals.
- Guest speakers and artists will share their knowledge online in the fields of Ayurveda, mantra chanting and Indian arts.
- A key aspect is the daily half-hour mentoring session with one of the swamis or senior staff. They will guide you personally in your asana and pranayama practice and assist with your studies.
You will emerge from this training feeling encouragement and support, and with lifetime connections to the ashram, an ancient lineage, and your fellow students. Share the joy of yoga with others, inspire your students, and provide space for growth in their practice.
The course enables you to teach yoga classes online and in person without hands-on corrections. It comprises 267 teaching units à 45 minutes. The certificate meets the RYS 200h Standard of the Yoga Alliance.
At the end of each week there is an oral exam via Skype or Zoom with one of the mentors.
Prerequisite for participation is the sincere desire for knowledge and an openness to the techniques of yoga. It is suggested that, before enrolling for the course, you familiarise yourself with the basic exercises of yoga and principles of yoga philosophy, but it is not absolutely necessary.
Two to three days before the beginning of the course there will be a zoom meeting for all participants
to become familiar with the technical requirements.
One day a week is lecture-free.
The course is part of a universal vision of peace: The more people experience peace within, the more this peace will manifest in outward action. In this way, a glow of peace envelops the world.
Online info event
With live Q&A
of the online teachers' training course
|noon – 1:00 pm||Bhagavad Gita, mantra chanting, meditation techniques, karma philosophy (cause and effect), nutrition & lifestyle at home|
|1:15 – 2:45 pm||Online teaching techniques|
|4:00 – 5:30 pm||Main lecture: Philosophy and anatomy|
|5:45 – 7:15 pm||Asana and Pranayama class, simple Kriyas|
|8.00 – 9.15 pm||Meditation, Mantra chanting, Spiritual lecture|
|In addition||Half an hour of individual coaching every morning with a personal mentor|
All activities are scheduled for Central European Time.
One day a week is lecture-free. The participation in an online yoga class and the evening meditation is recommended.
Online Yoga Teacher Training
The curriculum is based on the five points of yoga which can be understood as the practical application of the four traditional yoga paths:
- Proper exercise (Asanas)
- Proper breathing (Pranayama)
- Proper relaxation (Savasana)
- Proper diet (vegetarian)
- Positive thinking and meditation (Vedanta and Dhyana)
Daily: one meditation session, one yoga class, a workshop on online teaching techniques, two lectures. One day a week is lecture-free.
- The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Swami Vishnudevananda, Three Rivers Press
- Bhagavad Gita with a commentary by Swami Sivananda, the Divine Life Trust Society
- Yoga: Your Home Practice Companion by the Sivananda Yoga Centres (Dorling Kindersley)
They can be purchased via our online shop.
The course will be taught in three languages in parallel: English, German and Spanish. The evening meditation and occasional classes or lectures will be in English with simultaneous translation into German and Spanish.
Asanas (yoga postures)
The daily in-depth practice with individual corrections comprises:
- Sun salutation
- 12 basic yoga postures
- 100 asana variations, from intermediate level to advanced
- Postural alignment
- Deep relaxation with autosuggestion
- Release of blocked energy
Benefits of asanas on the body:
- Control emotions
- Improve power of concentration
- Rid the body of excess fat
- Enhance physical fitness
- Relieve chronic ailments such as constipation, rheumatism, stomach complaints
- Stimulate circulation
- Stabilise thyroid functions
- Keep muscles youthful and supple into old age
- Expands capacity of the lungs
- Relaxes the nervous system
- Balances the two hemispheres of the brain
- Purifies the nadis (subtle energy channels)
- Awakens the inner spiritual energy
- Kapalabhati (lung cleansing exercise)
- Anuloma Viloma (alternate nostril breathing)
- Samanu (mental cleansing of the nadis)
- Other classical Pranayamas from the yoga scriptures
- The 6 classical cleansing exercises for the eyes, nose, respiratory tract, esophagus and stomach, abdominal organs and large intestine: Explanation of the exercises and their effects. Practice of Tratak, Neti, Kapalabhati and Nauli
Yoga anatomy and physiology
- Introduction to the major body systems
- The effects of asanas and pranayama on: the cardiovascular system, respiration, digestion, skeletal and muscular systems, endocrine system
Online teaching practice
- Verbal teaching techniques of the 12 basic postures and breathing exercises for beginners and intermediate students
- Verbal demonstration and correction of the postures during online teaching classes
- In the second half of the training the participants teach each other online under the guidance of an experienced teacher
- Vegetarianism – for ethical, spiritual and health reasons
- How diet affects the mind
- Proper balance of the main nutrients
- Ayurvedic principles of nutrition
- Healing effects of fasting
- Application of simple recipes
- Physical and mental meditation
- 12-step daily practice
- Effects of and experiences in meditation
- Mantras – spiritual energy in sound
- Ethical and moral principles
- Body – prana (life energy) – mind
- From control over the body to control over the mind and meditation
- Ashtanga – the 8 steps of yoga
- Antahkarana – functions of the mind
- Concentration and meditation
- The Absolute and how it manifests itself in nature
- Macrocosmos & microcosmos
- The 7 Chakras
- The awakening of cosmic energy
- Kirtan: chanting of classical Sanskrit mantras
- Indian gods and their cosmic meaning
- Arati and Pujas (traditional Indian rituals)
- The law of cause and effect
- Samsara – the wheel of birth and death
- Karma Yoga – selfless service
- Basic concepts of Vedanta philosophy
- The 7 Bhoomikas or planes of consciousness
- Space, time, causation
- The 3 bodies
- The 3 levels of the mind
- Conquest of death
- Study of both the text and the commentary of this classical yoga scripture
9-day additional module
Optional: a 9-day additional module in the Sivananda Yoga Retreat House in Reith/ Kitzbühel. After completing this module you will receive the complete Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Course certificate with 401 teaching units.
During the module you will be integrated into an ongoing on-site TTC and participate in most of the teaching units. The following special workshops, which will prepare you for on-site teaching are included in the additional module teaching units:
- Physical asana corrections and their application in class
- Practising and teaching headstand
- Introduction to advanced pranayama exercises
- Yogic purifying exercises (kriyas)
- Teaching techniques and teaching practice in small goups
- Meditation and mantras, advise on choosing your personal mantra for meditation.
3 – 12 January 2023
7 – 16 February 2023
30 May – 8 June 2023
11 – 20 July 2023
15 – 24 August 2023
19 – 28 September 2023
Course fee including accommodation and meals:
|Dormitory (only for ladies):||730,-€|
from graduates of the online teachers' training course
“Being able to complete the Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Course from my home is one of the best experiences I’ve had.
The course was packed with purpose, truth and warmth, and even through the screen left a deep impression in my heart. Over the course of 4 weeks this warmth transformed my home into a radiant spiritual environment which greatly supported my lifestyle of living in peace and harmony. The daily contact with the Sivananda staff and also with the other centers across the continent, not only made me feel that I am part of this community but also helped me to see, feel and manifest the unity.
I thank each one of you from my heart for your dedication and for passing on these wonderful teachings, which you share with the world through all possible means and with such an inspiring devotion.
I’m looking forward to meeting you all soon in person.🙏🌷”
“This possibility to do the Yoga Teachers’ Training Course online at home was an ideal opportunity for me (and my family) to transform my yoga practice.
It has given me the perfect foundation to put the newly learned habits into practice at home. Especially the daily mentoring talks were very precious to me, because I was able to clarify my personal questions at once. I am grateful for this opportunity and I am amazed at what a great deal of energy and atmosphere can be transmitted online.”
“Thank you very much for these wonderful four weeks full of intense, sophisticated and spiritually enriching topics.
Only two months ago, who would have thought that it is possible to implement this in this way. Technically everything worked optimally, all the teachers were incredibly dedicated and there was no lack of personal atmosphere. The daily mentoring talks helped a great deal with improving my own yoga practice and with discovering my future role as a yoga teacher.
The course should absolutely be continued after the lockdown.”
Best wishes, Thomas Of-Berger (Berlin)
“It was a very precious time with many different topics:
interesting philosophy, different asanas and variations, the training on how to teach, Bhagavad Gita lessons, pujas, an interactive cooking class, kriyas and much more. We had different Swamis as our teachers which was one big advantage of the online course. Besides that we had mentoring talks via phone, in which we were attended to in a very personal way. I could concentrate very well. I hope that the group will soon be able to meet in person.
I thank you very much for being able to learn so much in such a short time.”