Swami Sivananda's works
(1887 – 1963)
Was one of the great yoga masters of twentieth-century India:
- Humanitarian work as a respected doctor in Malaysia
- Intensive study and practice of yoga and meditation in Rishikesh, Himalayas
- Founded the Divine Life Society in Rishikesh (an ashram that later developed into an international organisation)
- Published more than 200 books in English on all aspects of yoga
- Trained outstanding yoga masters, who would be instrumental in giving classical yoga the great reputation it now enjoys throughout the world
- Established the Yoga Vedanta Forest Academy in Rishikesh, which would become the model for the first Yoga Teachers’ Training Course in the West
- Carried on personal correspondence with yoga students worldwide
- Swami Sivananda integrated all known yoga systems, teaching a yoga of synthesis which is the basis for the modern practice of yoga in the West
~ Swami Sivananda
The greatest gift is knowledge
More than 200 books
Writing became Swami Sivananda’s next mission. Writing enabled him to do people more lasting good. His goal was to disseminate as much spiritual knowledge as possible. For him, the gift of knowledge was the greatest gift of all. The printing press was more important to him than the pulpit because words heard are quickly forgotten; only the written word lasts.
Swami Sivananda continued this mission until the end of his life, publishing more than 200 books on all aspects of yoga.
Many of these books can be accessed free of charge on the website of the Divine Life Society. You will find a small selection below.
Pranayama is an important limb in the Yoga of meditation. It is equally necessary for all in their daily life, for good health, success and prosperity.
The nature of the mind, the various forms that it assumes, the secret of its inner workings and the way to control it are fully and clearly explained.
An honest, forthright, modest and inspiring self-narration of the world-renowned saint and sage.
The under-pinning of Indian philosophy shorn of abstruse jargon and written in simple, lucid style.
These Easy Steps to Yoga are laid out with a special view to enable the novice to ascend without much difficulty the heights of spiritual attainment.
How to spiritualize one's activities. The doctrine of Karma and Reincarnation is also covered.