Teachers' Training Course online
Sivananda Teachers’ Training Course Online
4 weeks - 6 days per week
Authentic yogic teachings at home in real time
Daily personal coaching with your mentor
4 – 31 October 2020
Right from the start of the closedown due to corona virus we started offering group meditations and many people ardently joined in.
This encouraged us to offer a Sivananda Yoga Teacher Training Course Online in May and June.
We received very positive and benevolent feedback from the participants.
The online experience
It appears that the online-version brings a great amount of nearness and authenticity.
Some of the positive aspects are:
- This feels like a great way using time at home in a meaningful way: This is the time to intensify our practice, learn new aspects of yoga and implement a healthy and positive life style.
- The exit restrictions give us a chance to reflect on ourselves: our habits, our mental tendencies, our perspective on life. The TTC online will support this process of deep inquiry and will enable you to gain insight into your inner world.
- It seems this lockdown will deeply impact the society and live as we know it: the TTC online will give you tools to develop adaptability, openess of mind and creativity to reinvent your life, your relationships, your connection to the world.
- You will learn how to transform your living place into a mini center of spiritual power, which will inspire you to maintain a systematic pratice at home after the course.
- The training includes practical cooking instructions. During the four weeks you will learn to prepare healthy and tasty vegetarian meals.
- Guest speakers and artists will share their knowledge in the fields of Ayurveda, mantra chanting and Indian arts.
- Up to one our of individual coaching every day with a personal mentor enables individual optimization of your personal practice of asana, pranayama, meditation and mantra. Question and answer on the teaching contents.
- Since there are no costs for room and board, people with a tighter budget can also participate.
from graduates of the online teachers´ training course
“Being able to complete the Sivananda Yoga Teachers‘ Training Course from my home is part of the most valuable experiences I made. The contents were packed with purpose, truth and warmth and event through the screen left a deep impression in the heart. During these 4 weeks this warmth transformed my home into a shining and spiritual environment which profoudly supported my lifestyle, being in peace and harmony. The daily contact with the Sivananda staff and also with the other centers transcending the continent, not only made me feel that I am part of it but also helped me to see, feel and manifest the unity.
I thank each one of you from my heart for your effort and the passing on of these wonderful teachings, which you share with the world with all the possible means and such an inspiring devotion.
I’m looking forward to meeting you all soon in person.🙏🌷”
“This possibility to do the Yoga Teachers‘ Training Course online at home represents the ideal opportunity for me (and my familiy) to change over to new habits of yoga practice. It gives me the perfect basis to put the newly learned habits into practice at home afterwards. Especially the daily mentoring talks are very precious to me, because I can clarify my personal questions at once. I am grateful for this possibility and I am amazed what a great deal of energy and atmosphere can be transmitted online.”
“Thank you very much for these wonderful four weeks full of intense, sophisticated and spiritually enriching topics. Only two month ago, who would have thought, that it is possible to implement this in this way. Technically everything worked optimally, all the teachers were incredibly dedicated and there was no lack of personal atmosphere. The daily mentoring talks helped a great deal with improving my own yoga practice and with discovering my future role as a yoga teacher.
The course should absolutely be continued after closedown.”
Best wishes, Thomas Of-Berger (Berlin)
“I am very glad that I decided to do the online TTC, although I was not so sure about this in the beginning. It was a very precious time with manyfold topics: interesting philosophy, different asanas and variations, the training how to teach, Bhagavad Gita lessons, pujas, an interactive cooking class, kriyas and much more. We had different Swamis as our teachers which was a big advantage of the online course. Besides that we had mentoring talks via phone, in which we were attended to in a very personal way. I could concentrate very well. I hope, that the goup will soon be able to meet personally.
I thank you very much for being able to learn so much in such a short time.”
of the online TTC
Online info event
With live Q&A
- 4-week theoretical and practical training in all aspects of Yoga, consisting of 267 teaching units of 45 minutes each
- Internationally recognised certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres (ISYVC) upon successful completion of the course. The title of the diploma is ‘Online-Yoga Siromani’. We are in the process of applying for recognition by the Yoga Alliance (based in the USA) for the 200-hour training standard as RYS (Registered Yoga School).
- This course was founded by Swami Vishnudevananda in 1969 and is the first Yoga Teachers’ Training Course for students from the West with over 48,000 graduates since then.
- Prerequisite for participation is the sincere desire to learn and to open up to the techniques of yoga. It is of advantage to become acquainted with the basic exercises of yoga and the principles of yoga philosophy even before the training, but it is not absolutely necessary. In the online training you will learn to teach yoga postures, breathing exercises and relaxation practice for beginners and intermediate levels, as well as to improve your personal yoga practice.
- In 1969 Swami Vishnudevananda developed a yoga teachers‘ training as the first Indian Yogi in the West. It is part of a universal vision of peace: The more people experience peace within, the more this peace will manifest in outward action. In this way, a glow of peace envelops the world.
- Today the yoga teachers’ training courses are under the supervision of senior instructors who were personally trained by Swami Vishnudevananda. The goal of this training programme is to produce qualifed and inspiring yoga teachers who are able to draw on their own practice and personal discipline in imparting the yoga experience to others.
Online Yoga Teacher Training
The curriculum is based on the five points of yoga which can be understood as the practical application of the four traditional yoga paths:
- Proper exercise (Asanas)
- Proper breathing (Pranayama)
- Proper relaxation (Savasana)
- Proper diet (vegetarian)
- Positive thinking and meditation (Vedanta and Dhyana)
Daily: one meditation session, one yoga class, a workshop on online teaching techniques, two lectures. One day a week is lecture-free.
- The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Swami Vishnudevananda, Three Rivers Press
- Bhagavad Gita with a commentary by Swami Sivananda, the Divine Life Trust Society
- Yoga: Your Home Practice Companion by the Sivananda Yoga Centres (Dorling Kindersley)
They can be purchased via our online shop.
The course will be taught in four languages parallel: English, German, French, Spanish. Occasional classes or lectures will be in English with simultaneous translation into German, French and Spanish. The evening meditations will be in English with simultaneous translation into your own language.
Asanas (yoga postures)
The daily in-depth practice with individual corrections comprises:
- Sun salutation
- 12 basic yoga postures
- 100 asana variations, from intermediate level to advanced
- Postural alignment
- Deep relaxation with autosuggestion
- Release of blocked energy
Benefits of asanas on the body:
- Control emotions
- Improve power of concentration
- Rid the body of excess fat
- Enhance physical fitness
- Relieve chronic ailments such as constipation, rheumatism, stomach complaints
- Stimulate circulation
- Stabilise thyroid functions
- Keep muscles youthful and supple into old age
- Expands capacity of the lungs
- Relaxes the nervous system
- Balances the two hemispheres of the brain
- Purifies the nadis (subtle energy channels)
- Awakens the inner spiritual energy
- Kapalabhati (lung cleansing exercise)
- Anuloma Viloma (alternate nostril breathing)
- Samanu (mental cleansing of the nadis)
- Other classical Pranayamas from the yoga scriptures
- The 6 classical cleansing exercises for the eyes, nose, respiratory tract, esophagus and stomach, abdominal organs and large intestine: Explanation of the exercises and their effects. Practice of Tratak, Neti, Kapalabhati and Nauli
Yoga anatomy and physiology
- Introduction to the major body systems
- The effects of asanas and pranayama on: the cardiovascular system, respiration, digestion, skeletal and muscular systems, endocrine system
Online teaching practice
- Verbal teaching techniques of the 12 basic postures and breathing exercises for beginners and intermediate students
- Verbal demonstration and correction of the postures during online teaching classes
- In the second half of the training the participants teach each other online under the guidance of an experienced teacher
- Vegetarianism – for ethical, spiritual and health reasons
- How diet affects the mind
- Proper balance of the main nutrients
- Ayurvedic principles of nutrition
- Healing effects of fasting
- Application of simple recipes
- Physical and mental meditation
- 12-step daily practice
- Effects of and experiences in meditation
- Mantras – spiritual energy in sound
- Ethical and moral principles
- Body – prana (life energy) – mind
- From control over the body to control over the mind and meditation
- Ashtanga – the 8 steps of yoga
- Antahkarana – functions of the mind
- Concentration and meditation
- The Absolute and how it manifests itself in nature
- Macrocosmos & microcosmos
- The 7 Chakras
- The awakening of cosmic energy
- Kirtan: chanting of classical Sanskrit mantras
- Indian gods and their cosmic meaning
- Arati and Pujas (traditional Indian rituals)
- The law of cause and effect
- Samsara – the wheel of birth and death
- Karma Yoga – selfless service
- Basic concepts of Vedanta philosophy
- The 7 Bhoomikas or planes of consciousness
- Space, time, causation
- The 3 bodies
- The 3 levels of the mind
- Conquest of death
- Study of both the text and the commentary of this classical yoga scripture
of the online teachers´training course
|11:30 am – 12:30 pm||Bhagavad Gita, mantra chanting, meditation techniques, karma philosophy (cause and effect), nutrition & lifestyle at home|
|12:45 – 2:15 pm||Philosophy and anatomy|
|2:30 – 4:00 pm||Online teaching techniques|
|4:15 – 5:45 pm||Asana and Pranayama class, simple Kriyas|
|8.00 – 9.00 pm||Meditation, Mantra chanting, Spiritual lecture|
Plus one hour of individual coaching every day with a personal mentor:
- Questions and individual optimization of your personal practice of asana, pranayama, meditation and mantra
- Question and answer on the teaching contents
One day a week is lecture-free. The optional participation in an online yoga class and the evening meditation is recommended.