Sivananda Yoga Academy
The training will combine the study of scriptures with the pursuit of a yogic lifestyle through the practice of asana, pranayama, meditation and mantra chanting.
The lectures will be given online, except for the three residential retreats, which will take place at the Sivananda Yoga Ashram in Loiret, France. The teachings will be given by European Acharyas and Swamis.
Senior Swamis and experienced teachers from the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres will teach at the residential retreats and accompany you in personal mentoring.
Curriculum of the training course
Structure and preparation
Structure of the training course
- 17 – 19 September 2021 : Introductory weekend (Online participation possible)
- 18 – 25 April 2022 : Spring residential stay (online participation possible)
- 3 – 12 June 2022 : Final residential stay and graduation (Attendance is mandatory)
Subjects of study
- Sadhana Chatustaya, the qualities of a spiritual aspirant;
- Origin of the Universe;
- Jivanmukti, the state of Self-realisation
- Nyayas (Vedantic analogies)
- Neti Neti (the Vedantic method of negation)
- Sakshi Bhav (attitude of the witness)
- Abheda Bodha Vakya (the five components of the universe)
- Laya Chintana (the involution method)
- History and structure of the Bhagavat Gita
- Atman and Brahman and the indestructability of the soul
- The connection between Brahman and Prakriti
- Life after death and reincarnation
- Karma Yoga, renouncing the fruits of one’s actions
- Meditation techniques
- The golden middle path and how to avoid extremes
- Samadhi, the superconscious state
- The 3 Gunas – how the world revolves around them
- Amrita Ashtakam – what makes a true yogi?
- Introduction into the Vedas
- Overview of the major Upanishads
- Ishavasya Upanishad: This key Upanishad of 18 verses teaches the nature of the Self in a poetic form.
- Mandukya Upanishad: This small Upanishad of 12 verses explains the meaning of OM, the highest mantra
- Katha Upanishad: This dialogue of 118 verses between a little boy and the Lord of death deals with the nature of the human being, knowledge of the Self and Moksha, liberation from death.
Vedic chanting with an Indian temple priest
- Tattva Bodha with the commentary by Swami Tejomayananda
- Bhagavad Gita with the commentary by Swami Sivananda
- Principal Upanishads by Swami Sivananda
- Meditation and Mantras by Swami Vishnudevananda
- Sadhana by Swami Sivananda
- Sadhana Panchakam by Shankaracharya
- Join one of the Sivananda Yoga Academy’s free monthly online presentations: Sundays, 30 May, 5:30-6pm
- For all online courses, the software “Zoom” will be used. It is therefore advisable to download the software free of charge before starting the programme. It is necessary that your computer has a working camera. (For the asana classes, your camera should be positioned so that you can be seen even in the standing position.)
- Active knowledge of the teachings of the TTC on the subjects of Vedanta, the seven Bhoomikas, Karma and the three bodies is required. Therefore, please review the respective chapters in your TTC manual:
- Chapter 2, lesson 2: Brahman, Brahma and the three Gunas
- Chapter 2, lesson 4 and 5: The seven Bhoomikas
- Chapter 2, lesson 10 and 11: The three bodies and their functions
- Chapter 4: Karma and reincarnation
"Life on earth is a gradual process of unfolding of the Divine Consciousness which man essentially is. It is to set one’s own individuality in tune with the working of the Eternal Nature, to harmonise oneself with the Plenitude of Being. The earth is the arena where we expand the finite into the infinite. The purpose of life here is to live the existence of the Absolute Brahman! A life dedicated to this supreme End is the one of an earnest Seeker through Vedanta."
- Swami Sivananda
Sivananda Yoga Academy
In addition to attending weekly lectures and fortnightly interactive sessions, we recommend that students practice asana and pranayama daily, or attend asana classes regularly, as well as two satsangs per week, or more if your schedule permits.
For any questions, please contact Swami Gokulananda at email@example.com
Additional fees apply for other room categories.
No price reduction, if onsite retreats are taken online.
Interview with one of the Academy directors after the online application has been reviewed.
Diploma title: “Vedanta Adhikari”, certified for 400 hours (60 minutes).